Friday, October 16, 2009

Scratch - feeling a bit itchy?





Scratch is a program which allows users to create their own interactive stories, games, music and animations and share with other people around the world. Basically it is a visual programming system where consumers can connect a series of commands (such as sound, movement, script and variables) together, similar to a puzzle.

OK! To be honest I do not have much to say about the Scratch program. For myself, it was extremely tedious and frustrating! I did not understand how to use this application and I'm sure the girls presenting on this topic spent A LOT of time just trying to understand how Scratch operates! I highly commend their efforts on creating their short animation as it was tremendously difficult for me to even understand the various tools such as choosing the angle and degree of which the character moves.

Ultimately, there are many factors which support my decision to NOT use this program in the classroom. For instance, it is time consuming and can be difficult for students to successfully use within the limit time frames. Even if the teacher is proficient in understanding and using this application, I believe it would be exceptionally complex for student to comprehend instruction and independently use Scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment